What is Test automation Framework ?
- A Test automation Framework is a package of Tools & processes to run and execute Test cases defined by a set of testing guidelines and rules. This includes Test Script, Test Execution Mechanism , Handling Test data & parameters , Test Report Generation along with Logs and Screenshots. It is a centralized controller.
Benefits of Test automation Framework :
- Main benefit of framework is re usability of code
- simplicity in test creation
- Increase command coverage
- less manual interaction
- Easy Reporting.
Types of Test automation Framework :
There are 6 Automation Frameworks each have their own Pros and Cons. Lets check each One by one.
1. Linear Scripting Framework
This is a record and playback framework where testers don’t need to write code but have to write test cases in sequential manner . Record all steps and payback them.
Useful For Small Size Applications.
2. Modular Testing Framework
Creating of Test Scripts is done Module wise.
Test Application is divided into Multiple Modules .
Master Script contains many Modules as per Test Scenario.
3. Keyword Driven Testing Framework
Keyword Actions are defined in Table (Excel) and Test Script is run as per sequence of keywords specified in Table.
4. Data Driven Testing Framework
Create Automation Test Scripts by Passing Test Data from External Applications such as MicroSoft Excel , SQL , XML Files, etc.
- Use JXL or Apache POI to work with Excel Files in Selenium.
- Use HSSF to read and write Excel File using Java XLS
- Use XSSF to read and write OOXML Excel File using Java XLSX.
5. Hybrid Testing Framework
It is a combination of two Test Frameworks